In this entry Lluis shows us how he made a wooden tray for his wedding cake. For our wedding we decided to order a gypsy arm about 1,4 meters long (almost 5 feet), so this was the perfect excuse to make a nice tray for the occasion. I chose Bubinga for its decorative characteristics and for being suitable for food use. This wood is classified as durable against the action of fungi and termites, it is not attacked by lctids and it is moderately resistant to wood-boring marine animals. It is a very hard and dense wood so it is quite difficult to work it in a modest home workshop like mine.
Starting from a rough board, I need to flatten one of the sides. Because I´ve not a jointer, I´ll need to do this manually with a hand plane and some patience. To flatten the other face parallel, I use a jig for the router.
One of the edges was flat enough and square enough that I can cut the plank on the table saw to the final width and length needed. Then I draw, cut and sand the final curved shape of the corners. Now with a round cutter, I cut the edges to make them round and smooth.
To make the wooden tray more confortable to handle, I decided to add some recesses in the underside using a template and a router with a bushing and a straight bit.
I decided to add a perimetral groove with a round nose bit. So I needed to make a template and use the router with a bushing to follow the template.
Due to the hardness of the bubinga and the quality of my cheap bits, after routing the board, it has left some burned areas in the groove. So I needed to remove them. I came up with two options to solve this problem: Option A: cheap mini gouge. Option B: Dremel.
Once the shape of the wooden tray is finished, I focus on smoothing the surface. First, I use the card scraper. Finally I lightly sanded the tray with 240 grit sandpaper. I also sanded manually all the rebates and grooves.
My fiancé is professional graphic designer. She has created a logo for our wedding, so I will add to the tray. If you apply too much heat cracks like this may appear. After repairing it with some CA glue and bubinga dust, I repeat the ink transfer process more carefully.
For the finish, I applied food-safe mineral oil (x2). After let the oil soak into the wood for an our, I wipe off the excess.